UCSF Health and John Muir Health have reached the first significant milestone in developing a cancer network to enhance access to cancer care for patients throughout the East Bay, with the opening of the UCSF-John Muir Health Cancer Center at 3100 San Pablo Ave., in Berkeley.
The Cancer Center, which opened Feb. 3, 2020, is located in the jointly operated Berkeley Outpatient Center. Appointments are available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“Adding cancer services to the wide range of specialties that we are able to offer reflects our commitment to meeting the needs of our patients in one location, close to home,” said Caroline Schreiber, MD, a family medicine physician and medical director of the Berkeley Outpatient Center. “Having primary care and specialist physicians together in our Outpatient Center enhances collaboration, knowledge sharing and care coordination, so patients receive the best possible care and expertise from UCSF and John Muir Health.”
With the addition of cancer care, there are now 19 specialty care services available at the Berkeley Outpatient Center, as well as primary care, urgent care, lab and imaging services.
“UCSF Health and John Muir Health are collaborating to bring the most advanced cancer service to Berkeley, home to many patients we jointly serve,” said Shelby Decosta, President, UCSF Health Affiliates Network & Chief Strategy Officer, UCSF Health. “These patients will have access to the most precise and personal cancer care services that both of our organizations offer through our developing cancer network that is designed to improve prevention, diagnosis and treatment for cancer patients.”
“We’re excited to open the first of several locations for cancer services in Berkeley as we develop a broader cancer network in the East Bay,” said Mike Thomas, executive vice president and chief transformation officer at John Muir Health. “There is a growing demand for cancer care and long-term surveillance that stems from an aging population, a rising incidence of cancer and a significant increase in the number of cancer survivors. Working together, John Muir Health and UCSF will help patients get the care they need and access to state-of-the-art services in a healing environment.”
Cancer specialists at the Berkeley Outpatient Center will provide a full range of clinical care, including treatment for both newly diagnosed and metastatic cancer patients, as well as ongoing surveillance and survivorship care. For patients with breast cancer or benign breast conditions, breast surgeons will be available for evaluations and discussions of treatment options, including the latest minimally invasive techniques.
Currently Available Physicians:
- Shoko Emily Abe, MD, FACS – Breast Surgeon, UCSF Health
- Karen Goodwin, DO, FACS – Breast Surgeon, UCSF Health
- Akshiv Malhotra, MD – Medical Oncologist and Hematologist, UCSF Health
- Natalie Marshall, MD – Medical Oncologist, UCSF Health
- Marika Russell, MD – Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgeon, UCSF Health
- Jonathan George, MD, MPH – Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgeon, UCSF Health
- Richard O’Donnell, MD – Orthopaedic Surgical Oncologist, UCSF Health
- Arash Mohebati, MD – Head and Neck Surgeon, John Muir Health
- Breast problems (lump, pain, abnormal mammogram)
- Cancer (including breast, gastrointestinal, gynecologic, head and neck, lung, prostate, multiple myeloma, sarcoma, thyroid)
- Hematology cases (benign)
- Thyroid/parathyroid disease
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast biopsy (including ultrasound-guided core biopsy and fine needle aspiration)
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Immunotherapy (beginning August 2020)
- Infusion services (including chemotherapy beginning August 2020)
- Cancer nutrition
- Genetic counseling and testing
- Neck and thyroid ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy
- Supportive care
- Upper airway and vocal cord endoscopic evaluation
- Lab and imaging services
- Care coordination for patients with chronic conditions
- Free, validated onsite parking
- Many insurance plans accepted
For more information, call (510) 420-8000 or visit www.johnmuirhealth.com/locations/outpatient-center-berkeley/cancer-care.
About UCSF Health: UCSF Health is recognized worldwide for its innovative patient care, reflecting the latest medical knowledge, advanced technologies and pioneering research. It includes the flagship UCSF Medical Center, which is ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide, as well as UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals, with campuses in San Francisco and Oakland, Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital and Clinics, UCSF Benioff Children’s Physicians and the UCSF Faculty Practice. These hospitals serve as the academic medical center of the University of California, San Francisco, which is world-renowned for its graduate-level health sciences education and biomedical research. UCSF Health has affiliations with hospitals and health organizations throughout the Bay Area.
About John Muir Health:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.